Casa da Magnolia - Santar - Vila Jardim

Magnolia House

The House of the Magnolia is next to the House of the Condes de Santar e Magalhães. Owned by the family Pinto Amaral Homem, its name is due to Maria Adelaide Portugal, who wanted to pay homage to a two-hundred-year-old magnolia tree in the garden. The origin of this house dates back to the seventeenth century, when Francisco Pinto came from Azinhaga to Santar, with his sons, the abbot Sebastião Pinto and Pedro Coelho Rosado. In 1727, one of the descendants of the latter, Francisco Pinto Coelho Homem Rosado de Sampaio, Chief-Captain of the Council of Senhorim, married Maria Teresa de Portugal Mendonça Cabral. The property counted on two dozen peripheral lands, dispersed by the localities of Santar, Moreira and Casal Sancho and destined for sowing, olive grove, vines, gorse and pine forests.

Nowadays, in addition to the imposing magnolia tree, in the garden of the house there are numerous camellia trees, a granite tank and a well and contiguously, in an area that was of cultivation, there is a new garden vine surrounded by boxwood. The paths lead the visitor to walk through the garden and admire the landscape with the Serra da Estrela in the background. From this last level you can access the garden of the Casa dos Condes de Santar e Magalhães through a staircase, also built under the Santar Garden Vila project.

Magnolia 01
Magnolia 02
Magnolia 03
Magnolia 04
Magnolia 05
Magnolia 06
Magnolia 07
Magnolia 08
Magnolia 09
Magnolia 010
Magnolia 011
Magnolia 012
Magnolia 013
Magnolia 014
Magnolia 015